Wednesday, 10 November 2010

Fact

We had to do a 30 second Powerpoint, I did mine on the Theory of Relativity but though I enjoyed trying to piece together what it was and who came up with it (it wasn't just Einstein you know!), I think I might struggle with it during the project.




So I thought I'd change it to:
Brain Plasticity!

I'm reading a book called, 'The Plastic Mind' by Sharon Begley. It begins with a foreword written by the Dalai Lama Tenzin Gyatso who was the first to introduce Science into the monastic curriculum. There is a lovely story of the Dalai Lama as a young boy growing up and his curiousity as to how the objects in the palace's chambers worked. He would take them apart and put them together, this was, to him much interesting than philosophy.

Brain Plasticity or Neuroplasticity as it is also known as is the ability of the brain to remodel itself in response to experiences. The neurons are able to make 'new'/alternative connections to compensate for an injury or disease.

No comments:

Post a Comment