Monday, 21 March 2011

Frankenstein


I went to see a live broadcast of Danny Boyle’s production of Frankenstein at Stratford Picturehouse, last Thursday. It was the first of two live broadcasts taking place all over the UK and internationally (as the poster says), and had Benedict Cumberbatch as the Creature and Johnny Lee Miller as Victor Frankenstein. The second showing, on this Thursday, will have the actors swapping roles.

I enjoyed the play very much, though I had a bit of a problem with the music at first. It felt out of place in some places and very loud but that may have been because of the speakers in the cinema. There were a few unexpected moments, like the singing at the beginning and some funny moments too such as the Creatures conversations with the old man and some of the scenes with Elizabeth and Victor.The set was amazing too, as were the lights above the stage, they were used really well to show the heartbeat of the creature as it awoke.
I haven't commented on the narrative much, firstly because I don't want to give anything away though I probably have unintentionally. Secondly I can't really say if it was different to the novel as I haven't read it. I will do soon though.

No comments:

Post a Comment