Friday, 5 October 2012

London Design Festival

I volunteered at the V&A for the London Design Festival, it was one the best experiences of volunteering I've had. Just spending a whole day at the V&A was great, although nearly getting locked-in on my second day, not so much. The people I volunteered with were amazing too! :)


One of the installations that were made just for the London Design Festival were the Mimicry Chairs by nendo the Japanese design company. They looked amazing and it was really clever how they mimicked the environment that they were in.










Another was the popular Prism by Keiichi Matsuda and associates
I was lucky enough to get a chance to go up to see it on the second day of the Festival, but I wasn't prepared with a camera to take photos. I did take this photo a few days later from the sixth floor.



The final installation was Rolf Sachs's The Journey of a Drop, which was situated in the secret staircase found in the Henry Cole Wing. The inks were being dropped from a mechanism placed at the top of the staircase which is 32ft high. The sound of the ink dropping on water was amplified by a microphone. I'm not sure if Sachs was aware of the story that in the past when it rained the glass roof would leak, so V&A staff would have to put buckets to collect the water and if that influenced him.


 It was nice to see visitors reaction to this installation, everyone was in awe and left smiling, with some even returning to have another look.












No comments:

Post a Comment